background

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Soak it in



A friend of mine shared  this article on Facebook today (go read it, it is great!) about "slow parenting". The idea is to slow down and really take in the current season with your kids. And that idea has been resonating with me a lot lately. 

This past week, I have found myself holding my sleeping baby in my arms in his dark nursery and just staring at him. I know I am going to blink and he will be as big as his brother. I find myself excited to see what his little personality will be, but terribly sad for his adorable babyness to slip away. I have been staring at Griffin sleeping so peacefully in the mornings before I allow myself to wake him, just taking in how cute his young boyish look is. And I cannot believe he is already as big as he is. Wasn't I laying him in a crib all swaddled up just yesterday?! 

I have gotten so annoyed with myself lately because I can hear how many times I am saying "hurry hurry hurry" to my little man. And a) it makes him slow down, not speed up, and b) it makes me miss the cute things he is doing that make him "slower" than I would like. And I just need to stop. 

We all do it, no matter what phase of life we are in. You may do this to your children, spouse, friends, parents, animals, whomever really. 

So really this is a post to remind myself and you, to slow down. Savor. Enjoy where God has you. And when you hear yourself start to hurry, nip it in the bud. Give it a try and see if going one minute slower really makes you all that late. 

I am betting it won't :-) 






No comments:

Post a Comment